Sunday, March 09, 2008

Gonnella is published in NC about family sports madness

My Aunt Jeannine wrote the below article and it was published in the Raleigh, NC paper...her husband is my Uncle Tony Gonnella(he is not the one who died recently that I mentioned in my last blog). My family is truely insane with the sports thing....especially the Red Sox and the Boston Celtics. I had to go to my parents house so they could win the world series last time, apparently I brought good luck. Here's the article republished with assumed permission.

Red Sox fever sneaks up on fan's wife

I'm not a sports fan, but my husband is. How a whole family can be so superstitious that they call each other and state how they all have to continue to sit the same way they sat at the winning game is beyond words.

My husband owns a ton of Red Sox items -- he even bought a red truck because of his devotion to his team. I, myself, am guilty of having contributed to his madness by getting him a personalized plate with the Red Sox.

I remember when the movie "Fever Pitch" came out; I related. I related because to me, it was "just a game." Boy, was that a wrong statement!

When the Red Sox won the World Series, I got caught up in the emotion of it all after seeing and hearing all the stories of the generations that have been so devoted to their team, including my husband's mother, who passed many years ago.

"This one's for you, Ma" is all I heard, not just from my husband's family, but from many devoted fans.

I've learned to truly admire these Bostonians for the devotion they have toward their teams, and I admire my husband for striking up a conversation to anyone who shows any sign of sharing the same team.

So, to all those people who have a hat with a "B" or some sign on their car, if you see a man waving to you, it's possibly my devoted husband just cheering on his team.

--Jeannine Gonnella, Apex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home